Illegal immigrants in this country, like any other criminal, have an excuse for why they committed a crime. But if the tale is sad enough, should we forgive them for their original criminal act because they decide to behave? Should we allow them to take jobs away from law-abiding Americans and call them noble for doing so? How about we offer to pay their medical bills and send their children to college? If, in the course of providing these things, we find ourselves going broke, and we say to them, “Enough is enough, we cannot ignore your crimes any longer because it only encourages more criminals,” should we be surprised when these violators take to the streets demanding they be allowed to continue the way of life they have become accustomed to?
I was looking at a baseball article (on an ex-Met of all things) when I saw a sidebar link to a story labeled ‘I am a racist?’ It’s an interesting read if only because the author doesn’t fit into the box you would imagine them to. I think it emphasizes the broad range of views held in this country and how difficult it is to speculate on the opinions of segments of the population based around our own preconceptions.
No comments:
Post a Comment